Wednesday, August 5, 2015

‘DHAN-DAR‘ ~~ PARSI STYLE SPLIT YELLOW PIGEON PEAS ~~ TUVAR DAL

This is a traditional Parsi Dish cooked on special occasions like Birthdays and Sunday afternoons.

The word ‘dhan’ translates to ‘rice’ and ‘dar’ means ‘dal’.





Delicious, healthy, a super-duper hit with the kids and my hubby’s all-time favorite meal !!

I can still recall the days when we were newlyweds… my husband used to travel quite a bit for official work and I used to wait for him to get back, so that I can dazzle him with my cooking !   But imagine my surprise, when the meal requested by my hubby is not chicken, fish or mutton, but simple dal with rice …….. !
Since then, it’s become a practice that when hubby dearest returns from a trip, he gets his staple dish …

Yummy in my Tummy == Dal and Rice  !

Ingredients:
1 cup tuvar dal (split yellow pigeon peas) 
4-5 green chilies (thinly slit)
3 pods of garlic (chopped)
2 tsp roasted cumin seeds
2 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp clarified butter(ghee)/ cooking oil
Salt to taste
2 tbsp caramelized onions (for Garnish)

Method:
To begin with, soak the tuvar dal in water for 3 to 4 hours. This helps the grains to break down effectively and will make your dal creamier. 


Cook the dal in a pressure cooker with double the quantity of water for 8-10 minutes on low flame. After it is cooked, it should look something like this.


Prep all the ingredients.




Meanwhile, in a thick bottomed pan, heat the ghee/cooking oil and add the cumin seeds, chopped garlic and green chilies.


Next, add the turmeric powder and sauté for 2 minutes.


Now, add the boiled tuvar dal and salt to the masala. Mix well.


You can add more water to adjust the consistency of the dal.
Garnish with the caramelized onions.

 My 5 year old liked to have this dal with rice, whereas hubby likes it with chapatis (Indian flat bread) with a vegetable and pickle on the side !



Enjoy this traditional Parsi Meal !